Ph.D., University of Dijon (France), 1996.
- Coordinator of first year of Master “Ecology and Population Biology” of the University of Poitiers
- Member of various research and teaching committees of the Universities of Poitiers and Tours
- Coordinator of project “Bacterial diversity and host immunocompetence” (funded by the University of Poitiers)
The occurrence of bacteria in animal hemocytes experimentally or naturally infected asks the question of interactions existing between Wolbachia and host immune system:
- How does Wolbachia get in hemocytes and how do they survive?
- How does the host immune system recognize all types of bacterial antigenic factors?
- Are hemocytes cellular vectors for the propagation of Wolbachia in all host tissues?
To answer these questions, I am characterizing the different factors involved in interactions between Wolbachia and the immune system, defining the modalities of these interactions along with the consequences on host immunocompetence. I am also involved in the following projects:
- Phenotypic variability and bacterial density: role of the immune system and bacteriophage WO on bacterial density.
- Coevolution and plasticity: distribution, diversity and specificity of bacteriophage WO within Wolbachia populations.
Keywords: immune response, immunocompetence, bacterial density, bacteriophage WO.
- S. Durand, V. Loiseau, C. Prigot, C. Braquart-Varnier and S. Beltran-Bech (2018). Producing offspring in Armadillidium vulgare: effects of genetic diversity and inbreeding. Evol Dev. 2018 Mar;20(2):65-77
- J. Verdon, P. Coutos-Thevenot, MH. Rodier, C. Landon, S. Depayras, C. Noel, S. La Camera, B. Moumen, P., D. Bouchon, JM. Berjeaud and C. Braquart-Varnier (2016). Armadillidin H, a Glycine-Rich Peptide from the Terrestrial Crustacean Armadillidium vulgare, Displays an Unexpected Wide Antimicrobial Spectrum with Membranolytic Activity. Front Microbiol. 2016 Sep 22;7:1484
- C. Braquart-Varnier, M. Raimond, G. Mappa, FD Chevalier, W. Le Clec’h and M. Sicard (2015). The Hematopoietic Organ: A Cornerstone for Wolbachia Propagation Between and Within Hosts. Front Microbiol. 2015 Dec 18;6:1424
- C. Braquart-Varnier, M. Altinli, R. Pigeault, FD Chevalier, P. Grève, D. Bouchon And M. Sicard (2015). The Mutualistic Side of Wolbachia-Isopod Interactions: Wolbachia Mediated Protection Against Pathogenic Intracellular Bacteria. Front Microbiol. 2015 Dec 16;6:1388
- R. Pigeault, C. Braquart-Varnier, I. Marcadé, G. Mappa, E. Mottin & M. Sicard (2014). Modulation of host immunity and reproduction by horizontally acquired Wolbachia. J Insect Physiol. 70:125-33.
- F. Chevalier, J. Herbinière-Gaboreau,, D. Charif, G. Mitta, F. Gavory, P. Winker, Grève, C. Braquart-Varnier & D. Bouchon (2012). Feminizing Wolbachia: A Transcriptomics Approach with Insights on the Immune Response Genes in Armadillidium Vulgare. BMC Microbiology, 12, S1.
- M. Sicard, F. Chevalier, M. De Vlechouver, D. Bouchon, P. Grève & C. Braquart-Varnier (2010). Variations of Immune Parameters in Terrestrial Isopods: A Matter of Gender, Aging and Wolbachia, Naturwissenschaften, 97, 819-826.
- F. Chevalier, J. Herbinière-Gaboreau, J. Bertaux, M. Raimond, F. Morel, D. Bouchon, P. Grève & C. Braquart-Varnier (2011). The Immune Cellular Effectors of Terrestrial Isopod Armadillidium Vulgare: Meeting with Their Invaders, Wolbachia, PLoS ONE, 6, e18531.
Tel : +33 (0)5 49 45 35 59
Fax : +33 (0)5 49 45 40 15