PhD, University of Poitiers, 2009
– UE Scientic tools for Biologists, Licence 1 S VG
Anti-Legionella activities and bacterial adaptation
Legionella pneumophila is a waterborne pathogenic bacterium responsible for severe pneumonia called Legionnaires’ disease. L. pneumophila can be found at high levels in man-made water systems such as air conditioning and cooling towers, spas, etc. These systems are mainly responsible for outbreaks as they might produce infected water droplets, which are inhaled. L. pneumophila reaches the lungs and multiplies within macrophages. In the environment, L. pneumophila is ubiquitously found in fresh water and could survive within biofilms and several protozoa, such as free-living amoebae. To fight against this bacterium, our team works on various natural anti-Legionella substances like peptides, lipopeptides or glycolipids. This research activity is mainly focus on mechanism of action and on bacterial adaptation in response to antimicrobial stress.
Keywords : antimicrobial peptides, bacterial virulence factors, anti-Legionella activities, recombinant proteins
- Verdon, J., Girardin, N., Marchand, A., Héchard, Y. and Berjeaud, J.M. (2012). Purification and antibacterial activity of recombinant warnericin RK expressed in Escherichia coli. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. In press.
- Verdon, J., Labanowski J., Sahr, T., Ferreira, T., Lacombe, C., Buchrieser, C., Berjeaud, J.M. and Héchard, Y. (2011). Fatty acid composition modulates sensitivity of Legionella pneumophila to warnericin RK, an antimicrobial peptide. BBA Biomembranes, 1808, 1146-1153.
3/ Marchand, A., Verdon, J., Lacombe, C., Crapart, S., Héchard, Y. and Berjeaud, J.M. (2011). Anti-Legionella activity of staphylococcal hemolytic peptides. Peptides, 32, 845-851.
- Verdon, J., Falge, M., Maier, E., Bruhn, H., Steinert, M., Faber, C., Benz, R. and Héchard, Y. (2009). Detergent-like activity and alpha-helical structure of warnericin RK, an anti-Legionella peptide. Biophysical Journal, 97, 1933-1940.
- Verdon, J., Berjeaud, J.M., Lacombe, C. and Héchard, Y. (2008). Characterization of anti-Legionella activity of warnericin RK and delta-lysin I from Staphylococcus warneri. Peptides, 29, 978-984.
Tel : +33 (0)5 49 45 36 93
Fax : +33 (0)5 49 45 35 03
Email : email@example.com